I’ve put a new item on my Thanksgiving menu this year.
Big Announcement: Caramelized Onions are going to replace Creamed Onions.
I added creamed onions to my Thanksgiving Day menu when I began hosting T-day on my own back in Danbury, Connecticut. I pulled the recipe from my go-to bible of traditional foods, The Joy of Cooking. They were pretty simple - make a cream sauce, add onions and shredded Swiss cheese, bake, and don’t forget about them. The dish did spend a year or two in the back of my oven on Harrington Court and I believe in the back of the fridge or possibly even in the freezer other years. But I always made them and someone, even though it may have been after dessert, always remembered them.
I changed the menu this year for two reasons. First, I’ve noticed over the past few Thanksgivings that the creamed onion leftover container has been pretty full at the end of the day. Granted, a few creamed onions go a long way next to a plateful of stuffing, mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce, but still, why deal with the fuss of making that white sauce if I’m the only who is going to eat them?
My second reason for the switch is Nick Strauss. Nick has in the past few years discovered onions – specifically onions that are sautéed in oil (Philly cheese-steak style) or dipped in batter and deep-fried (Outback’s Bloomin’ Onion comes to mind). He claims he’ll add them to anything, and I do admit that since Jake and Sam have been away I will throw together a pan full just for Nick on those night that he and I dine together.
The recipe for caramelized onions is straightforward: heat equal parts butter and olive oil in a pan, add onions and salt. The onions aren’t truly caramelized until they break down over low heat, so it takes at least an hour or two, not of constant hovering over the stove, but of walking by and giving them a friendly toss every now and again until they are fragrant and brown.
I think Nick will like the new recipe. And I know that he will enthusiastically spoon a heaping portion of them next to his turkey and gravy – even though he may not eat a single one (sometimes foods with mushy consistencies get to him). But I’m feeling that the change is going to be good.
I may even try that green bean casserole dish that everyone raves about – I believe it involves onions as well. Just please don’t tell my family about the Cream of Mushroom soup – it gives them the willies.
Have a happy and safe Thanksgiving!
yum! sounds delightful. Wishing you a wonderful Thanksgiving, hope we can connect soon.
ReplyDeleteI love onions! I think Nick would like the caramelized onion and goat cheese pizza we used to make in CT. Thanksgiving is many things. I give thanks to Onions and a family that cooks with them.
ReplyDelete