Thursday, October 29, 2009

How to Remove Too Much Dark Hair Color

You may be surprised to know just how many hits come up on this Google search. Many, many people have asked this very question, and many many hair experts have answered. I'm telling you this on my second day of battle, sitting here with an odd combination of hot EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil for those of you not familiar with Rachel Ray jargon) and mayonnaise with plastic wrap rather loosely spun around my head.  This after spending $220 plus $35 tip to get my hair to it's "natural warm, dark tone."  Well, it is Halloween week and I could go Trick or Treating as Mortisha, which would be fun -- except that black hair does tend to make women of a certain age look a bit tired.....Brother Rupert out in Maine would say "to heck with the hair color, go natural, sis,"  but it's just not that nice and easy.

I'm a bit concerned about the hot EVOO/mayo treatment right now, as by the time I was able to actually touch the oil and get it on my head it was lukewarm - and the mayo congealed in the oil, which didn't look quite right.  I've now removed the plastic wrap (didn't really seem to be doing much good) and applied Selsun Blue (any medicated shampoo will do) on top of the oil/mayo combo and will wait 5 minutes.  Actually, last night I spent a cumulative of 90 minutes with Selsun Blue in my hair (it was Wednesday, a good TV night for ABC) and did see dark dye rinse out, so I am hopeful that this new application will have some merit.

Next will be another home remedy, that of the yogurt, beaten egg and lemon juice.  This could be tough, as yogurt in general gives me the willies -- it's just so slimy - I'm a cottage cheese person when it comes to coagulated dairy products.  And I don't have any plain yogurt, just the peach that Grandpa Jerry bought last week when he was here....thinking that maybe the added fruit will contribute some acidity and help strip the color.

You may ask why, after $220 plus $35 tip I don't go right back to my hair stylist and demand a redo.  But Girlfriends everywhere know what I'm up against.  Stylists are just never at fault -- after all I did want to go dark.  And I know that the only real option is to put more color on my already challenged hair follicles.  Plus which, do I really need a confrontation right now?  All that judging by those salon people - you really have to be up for it.   Anyway, it's just chemistry, simply put, and with enough hot oil, egg, yogurt and harsh shampoo I should be able to have some effect. Possibly 2% or so. 

The last suggestion is to just go with it -- enjoy the new look, buy some new lipstick, get a tan and be confident.  And I could possibly do this, except now that my hair is dry I'm noticing an unusual purplish tint -- hmmmmm...what to do? 

Let's Google it:  "What to do if your hair has an unusual purplish tint......."

Oy vey.

No comments:

Post a Comment